Today’s world of technology has made avoiding advertisements very easy. With DVRS and personal music devices, the old ways of reaching an audience through advertisements are changing. When marketing in the current media climate, you’ve got to present your advertisements in creative, out-of-the-box ways.
The good news: street advertising is a great way to reach your audience and has a great success story.
Did you know that at least 68% of consumers make purchasing decisions while in a car?
Street advertising will help you capitalize on reaching your ever-moving customer base.
Let’s dive into this and what it can do for your business.
What is Street Advertising?
Street advertising refers to the practice of using outdoor advertising methods such as billboards, posters, stickers, and murals to promote products, services, or events.
This type of advertising takes many forms; from large-scale billboards to posters and stickers.
These kinds of ads are typically placed in high-traffic areas: intersections, busy streets, and public transportation areas. They can also target specific demographics.
Believe it or not, street advertising has been around for centuries.
Examples of street advertising can even be dated back to ancient Rome and the middle ages.
These messages were carved into stone and plastered on walls to promote events and public announcements. Signs were painted on the fronts of buildings to indicate the type of business being conducted inside.
In recent years, street advertising has experienced a resurgence.
Many businesses are looking for ways to reach their customers in an incredibly jumbled and cluttered media landscape.
Modern street advertising takes many forms, from traditional billboards and posters to more innovative approaches like guerrilla marketing, which relies on unconventional and often eye-catching tactics to grab people’s attention.
Advantages of Street Advertising
There are a lot of reasons why you should consider using street advertising or outdoor advertising.
One of the main advantages is that it has the potential to reach a large and diverse audience.
Street advertising can be strategically placed in high-traffic areas, such as busy streets or public transportation hubs, where it can be seen by a large number of people. This makes it an effective way to raise awareness about a brand, product, or service.
Another advantage of street advertising is its flexibility. It can be created in a variety of formats and sizes, from billboards to posters to street art, allowing for creativity and customization.
Street advertising can be a cost-effective way to reach potential customers, especially compared to other forms of advertising such as television or radio ads.
Wide in Reach
Street advertising can reach a large number of people, especially in high-traffic areas. This allows businesses to promote their products or services to a wider audience.
Targets Your Audience
Street advertising can be targeted to specific neighborhoods or demographics, allowing businesses to reach the right audience with their message.
Shows Business Creativity
Street advertising offers advertisers a great deal of creative freedom, allowing them to use eye-catching graphics and slogans to capture people’s attention.
Examples of Street Advertising
These are just a few examples of some of the successful campaigns over the past couple of decades.
Each of these campaigns used a combination of bold visuals, catchy slogans, and clever marketing strategies to capture people’s attention and build brand awareness.
- Apple’s iPod Silhouette Ads:
- The silhouette ads were featured against brightly colored backgrounds. These were successful in the early 2000s. The ads helped to boost sales of the popular music player and helped to establish the iPod as a cultural icon.
- Nike’s “Just Do It” Campaign:
- The campaign launched in 1988, is one of the most successful advertising campaigns of all time. The campaign featured bold, simple slogans and striking images of athletes in action, and helped to establish Nike as a leading brand in the athletic footwear market.
- McDonald’s Billboards:
- McDonald’s has had lots of success over the years with its billboard ads. These billboards have featured iconic imagery such as the Golden Arches and slogans like, “I’m Lovin’ It.” These ads have helped to establish McDonald’s as one of the most recognizable brands in the world.
- Coca-Cola’s “Share a Coke” Campaign:
- This Coca-Cola campaign was launched in 2011. It featured cans/bottles of Coke with people’s names printed on them. The campaign was a huge hit on social media, with people sharing photos of their personalized Coke bottles and cans.
- Red Bull’s “Gives You Wings” Campaign:
- Red Bull’s campaign launched in 1997 and featured extreme sports and other high-energy activities. This helped to establish Red Bull as a leading brand in the energy drink market.
Innovations in Street Advertising
These are just a few examples of the many innovations. As technology continues to evolve, we can expect to see even more exciting and creative approaches to outdoor advertising in the years to come.
- Digital Billboards: Digital billboards are becoming increasingly popular, allowing advertisers to display multiple ads on the same billboard and to update the content quickly and easily.
- Augmented Reality (AR): AR technology allows advertisers to create smart billboards – interactive and immersive experiences for consumers. For example, an ad might use AR to superimpose a virtual image over a real-world location, creating a unique and memorable experience for viewers.
- Guerilla Marketing: Guerilla marketing is a type of street advertising that uses unconventional and often unexpected tactics to grab people’s attention. Examples might include using chalk art on the sidewalk or placing a statue in a public space.
- 3-D Printing: 3-D printing technology is allowing advertisers to create unique and innovative billboards and installations that would have been impossible in the past. For example, a billboard might feature a 3D sculpture or structure that extends out from the surface of the billboard.
Street Advertising Cost vs. Other Advertising Methods
Like everything, the cost-effectiveness of street advertising will depend on different factors including the location, format, and duration of the campaign.
- Allows Targeted Advertising: Street advertising can be targeted to specific neighborhoods or demographics, allowing businesses to reach the right audience with their message. This can help to ensure that advertising dollars are being spent effectively.
- Lower Cost Per Impression: Street advertising can often be more cost-effective than other forms of advertising when you consider the cost per impression (the number of people who see the ad). For example, a billboard might cost a few thousand dollars per month, but it can generate hundreds of thousands of impressions during that time.
- Has Flexibility: Street advertising can be adapted to different sizes and formats, allowing businesses to choose the most effective approach for their needs. For example, a business might start with a small-scale street art campaign and then scale up to a larger billboard campaign as the business grows.
- Has Longevity: Street advertising can often have a longer lifespan than other forms of advertising, such as television or radio ads, which have a limited shelf life. Street ads can remain in place for months or even years, generating ongoing exposure for the business.
- Has Buzz: Street advertising can also generate social media buzz and word-of-mouth marketing, amplifying the impact of the campaign and increasing the return on investment.
Ways of Creating An Effective Street Advertising Campaign
So you’re looking to create a street advertising campaign? Here are some things to consider. Remember, bMedia can always help with the creative process. Check out these best practices.
Define Your Business Objectives
What do you and your business want out of the campaign? Do you want to raise awareness of your brand, promote a new product, or drive sales? Knowing your objectives will help you to create a campaign that is focused and effective.
Know Your Audience
Understand your target audience and what motivates them exactly. What are their needs, interests, or desires? By using this information, you can craft a message that will really resonate with them.
Show Some Creativity
It’s all about standing out from the crowd, so be creative with your message and design. Use bold, eye-catching visuals and messages that are memorable and engaging.
Use the Right Medium
Choose the right medium for your message.
Different types of street advertising are better suited for different objectives and target audiences. Consider using a combination of mediums to maximize your impact.
Be Strategic with Placement
Placement is key here.
Choose locations that will generate high foot traffic and exposure to your target audience. You can also consider partnering with other businesses or organizations to leverage their customer base and increase exposure.
Measure The Results
Track key metrics such as foot traffic, social media engagement, and sales to determine the impact of your campaign and make adjustments as needed.
The Future of Street Advertising and Its Potential
The potential for street advertising is enormous. With the right approach, advertisers can create campaigns that are engaging, effective, and targeted. As technology continues to evolve, the possibilities for street advertising are limitless.
The future of street advertising is likely to be shaped by technological advancements and changing consumer behavior. Here are some potential trends to watch for:
- Greater Use of Augmented Reality: Augmented reality (AR) is likely to play an increasingly important role in street advertising. AR technology can create immersive and interactive experiences for consumers, enhancing the impact of the campaign.
- Increased Use of AI: As AI continues to evolve, street advertising campaigns will become more targeted and personalized. Advertisers will be able to use real-time data to optimize their campaigns and reach the right audience at the right time.
- More Sustainable and Eco-Friendly Ads: As sustainability becomes a bigger concern, campaigns will become more eco-friendly. Advertisers will look for ways to minimize waste and reduce the environmental impact of their campaigns.
- Integration with Smart Cities: As cities become smarter and more connected, street advertising will be integrated into the urban infrastructure. Advertisers will be able to leverage data from smart devices and sensors to deliver more targeted and effective campaigns.
How bMedia Can Help You In Your Street Advertising Endeavors
As a leading media business in Puerto Rico, bMedia has a mission to provide you with the best services for your street advertisements. We want to set your brand image in stone and ultimately, increase your business’s sales.
bMedia Group will provide you with innovation and quality as our strategists work hand-in-hand with you and your business through measurable and effective business solutions.